Mercedes boss Toto Wolff this week vehemently rejected all claims regarding the alleged illegality of some of the components of the team’s new car. Wolff’s comments came in response to the voicing of concerns by Red Bull.
The issue came up directly after Lewis Hamilton appeared on the track in a drastically different car during the final test this week. The car looked worlds removed from the one used during the first test in Barcelona, with the major difference the radically decreased size of the sidepods. While the intent had clearly been that of making the car more aero-dynamic, the design has the potential to give Mercedes a definite edge in terms of pace.
The new F1 season begins in Bahrain on March 20.
According Red Bull boss Christian Horner, who spoke to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, Mercedes had “gone too far” with the latest changes. He said the wings of the car, in particular, aren’t in line with the spirit of the FIA’s regulations. Red Bull, however, on Wednesday denied that Horner had made any comments at all about Mercedes and the legality of the new car.
Wolff said this week that the changes had been made in full consultation with the sport’s governing body. He said this sort of debate surrounding the changes had been expected.
But according to F1 Director of Motorsport, Ross Brawn, the approach taken by Mercedes is indeed an extreme one, and one not fully anticipated prior to the big reveal.
|1||5/5||100% Match up to $250|| Bet now|
|2||4.9/5||100% Match|| Bet now|
|3||4.8/5||Login to view promotions|| Bet now|
|4||4.7/5||Login to see promotions|| Bet now|