Guide to The 2016 Thousand Guineas Stakes
The Caulfield Thousand Guineas is one of most challenging group 1 races for three-year-old fillies. Run over a distance of 1600 meters, it is a perfect tester for trainers to suss out the competition for next month’s Victoria Oaks which is run over 2,500 meters. This year’s Thousand Guineas will take place on the 8th of October and will be held at the Caulfield Racecourse in Melbourne.
In 2015 it was “Stay With Me” who took the title, but his year sees a whole new field vying for win and the biggest share of the $500,000 prize money. As it stands, Foxplay is the favourite to win with Harlow Gold heading up the betting for the Oaks. The line-up for the 1600m race is as follows:
- Whispering Brook – At odds of (9), this Hinchenbrook filly has won five of her seven starts.
- Missrock – Missrock starts at odd of (13) and is ridden by D Dunn.
- Global Glamour – Sitting at odds of (5.5) Global Glamour is ridden by Kerrin McEvoy.
- Foxplay – Ridden by H. Bowman, Foxplay has won her only two starts as a three-year-old filly. Sitting at odds of (2,6) she expected to come out strong and power through the 1600 meters.
- I Am A Star – At odds of (15) she has become a respectable challenger and one to look out for.
- La Luna Rosa – This Kiwi filly won the Group 1 NZ Sires Produce and sits at odds of (15)
- Samara Dancer – Sitting at odds of (21), Samara Dancer won the diamond Prelude as a two-year-old filly. This year she could be ready to turn up the heat as a three-year-old.
- Legless Veuve – Ridden by M. Zahra, Legless Veuve currently sits at odd of (12)
- Sword of Light – This is one horse to look out for. At odds of (26), Sword of light won the group 3 Blue Diamond Prelude.
- Leotie – Having won a Sale Maiden in July, this filly starts at odds of (17)
- Sebring Dream – She won 1400 meters at Flemington and starts at odd of (34)
- Harlow Gold – One of the favourites to win, Harlow Gold sits at odds of (13)
- Smart Amelia – At odds of (41), she has something to prove.
- Peeking Duck – Ridden by C. Newitt, this three-year-old can turn out to be a wildcard. She is currently sitting at odds of (101)
- FromParis WithLove – Yet to open her account, this Flemington trained filly sits at odds of (101) coming in fifth in the Edward Manifold.